Responsible travel, and its counterparts sustainable travel, ethical travel, eco-friendly travel, green travel or however you would like to call it, are omnipresent buzzwords these days. They somehow sound familiar. But what does it actually mean to travel responsibly?
Traveling responsibly simply involves factoring in extra consideration before you make a booking. Instead of only concerning yourself with the convenience and value of your travel, consider the impact of it too. We are not talking about refusing all business meetings abroad, or cycling to your next holiday destination. Simply considering small (or big) changes that will lessen your impact on the planet.
More often than not, there is a way to reduce the harm that travel has on the planet without having to make any significant change to your original plans; it is just about looking at the bigger picture.
Responsible travel is not about beating yourself up either. Let’s face it: Nobody is perfect. But every little step matters, and by acknowledging that you can make a difference.
Start with a few green travel hacks, then add others over time. Before you know it, you will be an amazingly responsible traveler.
So let´s all start to be green travelers!
Here are our best responsible travel tips:
- Sustainable travel requires clever planning. So just put some thought into your preparations
- Leaving home responsibly
- Pack correctly – it is essential to traveling more sustainable.
- How you choose to travel is one of the most important decisions you will make. Transport has a massive effect on the environment, so opting for eco-conscious options will cut your carbon footprint and reduce the global impact significantly.
- Make your hotel stays more sustainable
- Stay healthy and think about what you will eat and drink
- Be aware of the 6 R’s: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Refill, Remove
- Be the best kind of traveler in your human behavior
- Be eco-friendly during all your activities
- Make your shopping more sustainable
- Share your new green spirit back at home.
More eco-friendly travel tips?
Have we missed one of your best sustainable travel tips? Comment below, then we will be pleased to update the list!