Capital City of Kenya :
53 Millions (2019)
KES = Kenyan Shilling
Best time to visit Kenya
One of the best times to visit Kenya is from July to September, during the dry season, which is also period for the Great Migration of zebras and gnus. The rainy season is also good time to travel, as there are fewer visitors and you can admire the incredible green vegetation so typical of Kenya. December is usually a great time to travel to Kenya, since the rains never last long and you have more chances to observe newborn animals.
Top things to see
- The annual migration of the gnus across the Maasai Mara. It can be experienced by car, foot, horseback or even hot air balloon.
- Traditional tribal culture in the arid badlands around Lake Turkana
- Epic views across the Rift Valley from the Nairobi-Naivasha road
- The pink ribbon of greater flamingos around the edge of Lake Nakuru
- The summit of Mt Kenya – you will appreciate it even more after the strenuous five-day trek to get there
Top things to do
- Go on a safari
- Do water sports or play golf
- Ride the rails in colonial comfort on the night train from Nairobi to Mombasa
- Hike or trek
- Float over the the savannah in a hot air-balloon
- Splash around on the drifting beaches of lovely Lamu island
Eat and Drink
- Eat nyama choma (Kenyan-style roasted meat), a perfect accompaniment to cold beer
- Ugali, the perfect comfort starchy food for Kenyans. It is often eaten as a side dish
- Wali wa nazi, a coconut rice or Kenyan pilau, a spiced rice.
- The Big Five (lions, elephants, rhinos, buffaloes, and leopards)
- the Rift Valley
- leaping Maassai warriors
- shoes made from tyres
- tribal beads
- lean marathon runners
- gin-soaked colonials
In a word
Festivals in Kenya
Kenyans are joyful people and they love to celebrate and have fun. There are plenty wonderful festivals featuring Kenyans vibrant culture and heritage here are some of them :
- The Lamu Cultural Festival is a unique, joyful festival with both ancient and modern competitions.
- The Maralal Camel Derby is held annualy. It´s the most prestigious camel race attracting many spectators and competitors. It should not be missed.
- The Safaricom International Jazz Festival is a must attend for anyone who loves good music.
- The Rhino Charge is a unique off-road rally. Money is raised for conservation of the Aberdares National Park. It´s a great event both sporting and social.
- The Lewa Marathon in June is also a charity fund-raiser race for the conservation of wildlife.