Capital City of Greece:
EUR = Euro
Best time to visit Greece
Easter until June (pleasant weather and less tourists).
Highlights in Greece – do not miss them! 💥
Top things to see
- The imposing white columns of the Parthenon, on the Acropolis, the hill lording it over Athens.
- Spectacular sunsets in Oia at the northern tip of Santorini.
- The monasteries of Meteora astride rocky pillars on the plain of Thessaly.
- Greek Easter in Corfu: priests in glorious vestments, candlelit midnight church services, sweet breads, coloured eggs.
- The Knights Quarter and turkish relics of Rhodes‘ walled old town.
Top things to do
- Hop a ferry in Piraeus and cruise between countless Greeek islands, each with their own distinctive character and attractions.
- Find your own little beach and enjoy the crystal-clear sea.
- Settle in a harbourside restaurant or village taverna and dine on what is surely the world’s most underrated cuisine.
- Keep an eye out for centaurs, satyrs ot stray Greek gods as you trek up Mt Olympus.
- Walk through the dramatic Samaria Gorge in Crete.
Enjoy Authentic Greek Food And Drinks 🍺
Traditional Greek Food
- Spanokopita (spinach pastry)
- Moussaka (eggplant dish)
- Dolmades (stuffed vine leaves)
- Soutzoukakia (meatballs)
- Baklava (thin layers of dough with honey and nuts)
- Gyros, Jens’ favorite food (slices of roasted meat in a pita)
- Greek Salad
- Greek coffee (National drink in small cups with a lot of grounds, without milk)
- Ouzo (grape brandy with anise)
- Retsina (wine with resin)
- and Sophie’s favorite : Loukoumadès (honey donut balls)
Greek Salad | Photo: © pixabay/uvlik05
Most Popular Festivals Of Greece 🎡
- Orthodox Easter
- Apokreas (Carnival season): Related to the Greek Orthodox religion, and kicks off three weeks prior to the fasting of Lent (from mid-January to late February or early March).
- The most prominent Greek summer festival: the Hellenic Festival.
- Navy Week: Celebrating Greece’s long relationship with the sea, fishing villages and ports throughout the country host historical re-enactments and parties in late June.
- August Moon Festival: Considered the brightest and most beautiful moon of the year, the August moon inspires towns across Greece to host special nighttime events and parties.
What is Greece famous for?
- The Acropolis
- Kalamata olives
- Honey from Crete
- old women in black
- Zorba the Greek
- white-washed villages
- Homer and myths and fables of classical antiquity