Capital City of France:
EUR = Euro
Best time to visit France
Highlights in France – do not miss them!
Top things to see
- Discover and get lost in romantic Paris.
- See the Louvre and all the other museums.
- Don´t miss the beautiful Chateau de Versailles residence of kings and queens.
- Explore the different wine regions of France
- Visit beautiful Bordeaux and the Southwestern coast.
- Europe´s highest sand dune (Dune du Pilat) overlooking the Ocean.
- Dive into the precious and lively Provence/ Côte d´Azur.
- Go to Alsace and and marvel at its unique architectecture.
- Normandy and the war memorials will move you.
- Authentic Bretagne is absolutely a must see.
The world famous Louvre in Paris | Photo: © pixabay/EdiNugraha
Top things to do
- Whatever the region discover French gastronomy as it is part of Unesco World Heritage.
- Taste champagne in ancient cellars in Reims and Épernay and wine from the famous Chateaux around Bordeaux.
- Walk barefoot across kilometres of wave-rippled sand to Mont St-Michel.
- Pedal through vineyards, cherry or apricot orchards and lavender fields in rural Provence.
- Drive the mythical corniches (coast roads) on the French Riviera.
- Slide down the pistes of the Pyrenees or the Alps or enjoy a drink on sunny terraces overlooking the gorgeous mountains then don’t forget to enjoy an après-ski entertainment.
- Enjoy all the summer activities at the beaches.
- Cycle among the awesome Loire Castles
- Read a book for hours at the terrasse of an elegant café
- Shop for perfume and stylish clothes.
- Eat a pastry or a macaron from an authentic patisserie.
Mont Saint-Michel | Photo: © pixabay/6845319
Traditonal French Food
- Try all the specialities from each region.
- Experience the traditional baguette, cheese and red wine combination.
- Eat crêpes in a traditional crêperie in Bretagne and don´t forget a Kouign amann from a boulangerie artisanale.
- Savour duck fillets, foie gras and cannelés in Bordeaux and cassoulet around Toulouse.
- Enjoy a choucroute garnie in Alsace.
- Fill up your stomach with a raclette, tartiflette or fondue from Alps/Savoie
- Dare to try the escargots in Burgandy or the boeuf Bourguignon
- Enjoy fresh seafood and grilled fish near all the coasts of France.
Very typical: French Baguettes | Photo: © pixabay/Intuitivmedia
Most popular Festivals in France
- The cinema festival in Cannes in May
- La fête du vin in Bordeaux (next one in June 2020) or Bordeaux fête le fleuve in June 2021
- The theater festival in Avignon in July
- The 14th of July fireworks (in some towns on the 13th around 11pm)
- Le Puy du Fou in Vendée, a huge historical live show from April to October
- The Christmas market in Strasbourg in December
What is France famous for?
- Baguettes (from artisanal bakeries)
- Cheese ( with more than 365 types of cheese)
- Exclusive pastries (éclairs, tartelettes, millefeuilles…)
- Red wine, white wine, champagne, cognac, armagnac,
- Fashion designers for clothes, bags, perfumes.
- Tour de France (cycling competition)
Explore France through our blog posts
Where to find more useful information about France:
Some of our recommendations contain affiliate links which means that we earn a small amount of commission from the sale (don’t worry, it doesn’t effect the price you pay). Thank you for your support!
You will find here more resources for travelers: https://oneworld2travelers.com/resources/